[ale] netatalk RPM

Ben Phillips pynk at angband.org
Thu Aug 3 13:54:03 EDT 2000

I'm trying to get some Macs to talk to a linux server.

In the netatalk SRPM (netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-7.src.rpm) there's a patch
called netatalk-asun.fsstnd.patch, and one of the things it does is comment
out the line in the top-level Makefile which compiles in DES, so that the
Macs will use the randnum & rand2num UAM's (i.e., "2-way Encrypted
Passwords") to authenticate to the server.

I have two questions.  Does anyone have a guess as to what 'fsstnd' might
stand for?  I can't figure out why this patch is here.  And the other
question is, why would Red Hat want to disable those UAM's?  Is there a flaw
in them?  I don't think DES is considered to be secure encryption any more,
but still -- if my only alternative is plain text, I think I'll take it!
Are there other UAM's for Netatalk that I don't know about?  (We're not
running a Kerberos server.)

                      __   _                 "I hate to advocate drugs,
Ben Phillips         /  '_' )         ,,,     alcohol, violence or
pynk at post.com        |  | ()|||||||||[:::)    insanity, but they've
                     \__.-._)         '''     always worked for me."
		                                 -- Hunter S. Thompson