[ale] Network Utility

Bob Kruger krugerb at benning.army.mil
Thu Aug 3 12:24:58 EDT 2000

I am helping the network administrator here develop a program to track
machines, IP numbers, and hardware addresses.  Seems we have some folks
who like to get on the network without an authorized IP number, blocking
out legitimate users.

My little script will help her do a daily reconciliation of who is on
the network and if any changes were made to hardware that she doesn't
know about.

To get her started, she needs to get a copy of everyone's hardware
address.  Most of the machines on the network are Win9X or WinNT
machines.  There is a small utility called netstat that you can call
from the dos prompt that will give you the current IP and hardware
address.  There was another utility that you could call from windows,
but I can't remember which one it is.

Any hints?

Regards - Bob Kruger