[ale] Q: IEEE-Float byte order on Network convention

Richard Whitfield RCW at megatrend.com.hk
Thu Aug 3 00:09:58 EDT 2000

If I remember correctly from many years ago there was something called xdr
(eXternal Data Representation) that was part of RPC. It was a pair of
functions to convert data structures to a standard format for transmission
to another computer, and another function to read the standard format and
convert to the native format of the local processor. The functions were
available for various cpu types/operating system environments. I prefer this
concept than the current fetish for encoding everything into ASCII text for
external transmission.

Regards,

Richard Whitfield
Megatrend Information Services Ltd.