[ale] Q: IEEE-Float byte order on Network convention

John Mills jmills at tga.com
Wed Aug 2 12:23:50 EDT 2000

Randy -

Thanks for the pointers.

On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Dunlap, Randy wrote:

[blather about cross-platform binary ordering elided.]
> Good point.  Just be sure to keep the data size the same on
> each end.

Actually it was fortunate that sizes of various elements of the data type
agreed between EDS/Scicon Ada83 for the M68K and BC++3.(whatever) for the
i86. [Is that weird enough?] I just had to swap bytes and (I think also)
words - not to recast exponent, mantissa, etc. At least the IEEE achieved
_some_ standardization!

> One web page ("OpenMath ...") converts floating point to
> ASCII representation (+-n.nnnnnnex) for network transmission.

I hope to keep packet sizes down and retain precision by using a binary
format, if I can.

Thanks again.

 - Mills

   John Mills