[ale] Network Install

Michael Hirsch hirsch at mathcs.emory.edu
Wed Sep 29 14:08:22 EDT 1999

Jim Williams <dalavon at yahoo.com> writes:

> I have a laptop that does not have a CD-ROM.  I want
> to do an install and I thought somewhere once I saw a
> network install HOWTO or I saw it in another HOWTO but
> I have not been able to find it.  Can anyone point me
> in the right direction or is there another way I can
> get Linux on this machine?

I have done this many times.  If you have a fast connection you can do
a RedHat (and, I presume, others too) ftp install from, say,
ftp.cc.gatech.edu.  You will need to know the directory containing the
installation.  For RedHat you will need the boot floppy that knows
networking.

You can also use NFS.  I usually use this for my laptops.  I have a
linux desktop and add /mnt/cdrom to /etc/exports.  Then I start up the
nfs server.  Again, you will need to know the right directory name and
use the networking install disk.

If you can borrow a pcmcia cd controller, that can also work.  I used
to have access to a portable scsi CD that I've installed from.

If you have more questions, let me know.
--
--Michael