[ale] sshd not responding

Ben Phillips pynk at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Sep 29 13:59:45 EDT 1999

I can ftp to localhost.  I can telnet to localhost.  But when I start an
sshd, I can't ssh to localhost because all I get is:

Connection closed by foreign host.

Here is the sshd_config from /etc/ssh (and I'm even specifying -f
/etc/ssh/sshd_config to make sure it's finding the right file):
# This is ssh server systemwide configuration file.

Port 22
ListenAddress 0.0.0.0
HostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_key
RandomSeed /etc/ssh/ssh_random_seed
ServerKeyBits 768
LoginGraceTime 600
KeyRegenerationInterval 3600
PermitRootLogin no
IgnoreRhosts yes
StrictModes yes
QuietMode no
X11Forwarding yes
X11DisplayOffset 10
FascistLogging no
PrintMotd yes
KeepAlive yes
SyslogFacility DAEMON
RhostsAuthentication no
RhostsRSAAuthentication no
RSAAuthentication yes
PasswordAuthentication yes
PermitEmptyPasswords no
UseLogin yes
AllowHosts localhost
# DenyHosts lowsecurity.theirs.com *.evil.org evil.org
# Umask 022
# SilentDeny on

                      __   _                 "If pro is opposite of con,
Ben Phillips         /  '_' )         ,,,    then what is the opposite of
pynk at cc.gatech.edu   |  | ()|||||||||[:::)   progress?  Congress!"
                     \__.-._)         '''     -- men's restroom, House of
		                              Representatives, Washington