[ale] RedHat and its mirrors

JANINDRA at MS.NDCORP.COM JANINDRA at MS.NDCORP.COM
Wed Sep 29 09:48:25 EDT 1999

(You're preaching to the choir)

I have recently written a script that checks the RH ftp site for updates on
a regular basis. The problems I have encountered are as follows:

RH decided to consolidate everything to one server (i.e rawhide, updates,
etc -> ftp.redhat.com). They continued to update the separate servers while
the main server lacked updates. Despite what they advertise, the most
up-to-date server is updates.redhat.com.

On a side note (especially for the conspiracy buffs), I believe RH lowered
that anon FTP access to one user at a time. This causes frustration for
people trying to get updates and eventually leads then to waiting for RH 6.1
or whatever to come out, so they can BUY it on CD.

On the other side, if I can generate enough interest I plan on handling the
"subscription" idea by publishing RH Quarterly Update CD's (professionally
done of course). These are not the OFFICIAL RH CD, but files taken from the
RH server and burnt to CD (don't want any RH lawyers on me ;) ).

--Randy