[ale] Need a laptop recommendation.

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Sep 28 12:45:51 EDT 1999

One of my students at Clark Atlanta is looking for a laptop and because my
class projects are Linux based would like to get a Linux compatible box.

Here's the criteria:

1) Price less that $1350
2) Linux compatible video and sound.
3) Memory upgradeable above 64MB.
4) LCD with 1024x768 resolution or better and 16 bit color would be nice,
800x600 with 16 bit color required.
5) PCMCIA III port
6) External keyboard, serial, and video without requiring a docking station.
7) Linux compatible internal modem would be nice.

Any ideas? I have one of Clark Atlanta's ThinkPad 755C and it runs OK but
the Mwave is completely unusable.

I read a report that IBM is also is supporting Linux on one of their thinkpad
models.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

BAJ