[ale] RedHat6.0 vs RedHat5.2

John Mills Jmills at TGA.com
Mon Sep 27 13:55:48 EDT 1999

------_=_NextPart_001_01BF0911.8AF6535A

Hi, Courtney -

You will be working with a current library (+) and by default will have
Gnome and Enlightement as your GUI (+/-; mostly +). Like the old 'a.out' to
'ELF' step, library currentcy will become more important with time.

Installing RH6.0 is very simple compared with 4.x and 5.x (or it was with
'Hedwig' for me) - if you're staying on the same hardware and save a copy of
your XF86Config (for reference, it's a "no-brainer" compared with the
earlier versions.

Nice applications like "Gimp" unpack as stardard.

If you are clearly setting up as a "workstation" or as a "server", the
default packages are plenty to get you "on the air" and you then add what
you want. I put it on a new system at work and my only hangup was figuring
out where to look for "mouse droppings" of a PS-2 mouse (vs. serial I was
used to).

The thing which has stopped me at home is a largish number of apps and setup
files I've accumulated. I will soon face it, though, as I am looking at the
new 13.x GBy disk drive for which space I'm becoming desperate!

Bottom line: good product, but the transition (naturally) requires some
work. Nothing like as bad as the move from 4.x to 5.x, I expect. YMM(W!)V

Cheers
 -jmm

  John Mills, Sr. Software Engineer
  TGA Technologies, Inc.
  100 Pinnacle Way, Suite 140
  Norcross, GA 30071-3633
  e-mail: jmills at tga.com
  Phone: 770-441-2100 ext.124 (voice)
         770-449-7740 (FAX)

------_=_NextPart_001_01BF0911.8AF6535A

</pre>
<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3DISO-8859-1">
5.5.2232.0">
<TITLE>RE: [ale] RedHat6.0 vs RedHat5.2</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Hi, Courtney -</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>You will be working with a current library (+) and by =
default will have Gnome and Enlightement as your GUI (+/-; mostly +). =
Like the old 'a.out' to 'ELF' step, library currentcy will become more =
important with time.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Installing RH6.0 is very simple compared with 4.x and =
5.x (or it was with 'Hedwig' for me) - if you're staying on the same =
hardware and save a copy of your XF86Config (for reference, it's a =
&quot;no-brainer&quot; compared with the earlier versions.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Nice applications like &quot;Gimp&quot; unpack as =
stardard.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>If you are clearly setting up as a =
&quot;workstation&quot; or as a &quot;server&quot;, the default =
packages are plenty to get you &quot;on the air&quot; and you then add =
what you want. I put it on a new system at work and my only hangup was =
figuring out where to look for &quot;mouse droppings&quot; of a PS-2 =
mouse (vs. serial I was used to).</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>The thing which has stopped me at home is a largish =
number of apps and setup files I've accumulated. I will soon face it, =
though, as I am looking at the new 13.x GBy disk drive for which space =
I'm becoming desperate!</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Bottom line: good product, but the transition =
(naturally) requires some work. Nothing like as bad as the move from =
4.x to 5.x, I expect. YMM(W!)V</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Cheers</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2> -jmm</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>  John Mills, Sr. Software Engineer</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>  TGA Technologies, Inc.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>  100 Pinnacle Way, Suite 140</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>  Norcross, GA 30071-3633</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>  e-mail: jmills at tga.com</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>  Phone: 770-441-2100 ext.124 (voice)</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>         =
770-449-7740 (FAX)</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>