[ale] MAX Memory & Disk

matt myurman at mindspring.com
Sat Sep 25 14:25:14 EDT 1999

At 08:40 AM 9/25/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Lucky So-and-so writes:
>> 1 GIG of RAM and 54 GIG Hard Disk.
>>
>> My problem is the system appears to only recognize 500 megs of the RAM and
>> only part of the drive.
>
>Hmmm.  Dunno about the drive; I know the kernel (even as of 2.0.36) has the
>ability to work with something that big, because Joe at Linux General
>Store had an 84gb RAID array attached as one big thumping SCSI drive...
>and this was before Kernel 2.2 came out.
that is/was a external solution.  its now 127gb or so too ;-)

>As for the RAM... I had thunk the stock kernel handled 1gb more or less
>by default (more or less being one of:
it should recognize it, but i've found only likes to play nice with 960mb
or so
of it.  the newer kernels have support for 1/2gb of ram and the 2.3 kernels
have
a 'big mem' option to supposedly do more, but i haven't had the opertunity
to try
that out.

>LILO boot: linux mem=1024m
>
>or
>
>in /etc/lilo.conf: append="mem=1024m"

i found a even 1000M worked in more situations than the 1024 did.  usually
bombed
with vfs being unable to find the root fs.

>I think recompile is only called for when you go beyond that.  Somehow
>I can't seem to verify that this morning...
i believe they intro'd the 1/2gb max mem support in 2.2.11, but i know its in
2.2.12