[ale] Re: your mail

Dave Brooks dbrooks at elysium.comstar.net
Fri Sep 24 08:10:09 EDT 1999

Well, that's wonderful.  However, when it comes down to trouble-shooting
problems in the long run, Caldera's self-[configuration/install] program
may not have allowed you the window of opportunity to learn about
what exactly it was doing.

When I first installed Linux about 4 years ago, I don't think I would have
exactly called myself a computer expert, either.  I remember I bought the
Linux Bible v. 4 (or 5 maybe..) and just sat down and read before I did
anything (I think, mainly I read the install guide and the Systems Adminisrator
Guide by Matt Welsh).  And sure, when the fit hit the shan I screwed up a
few installs, but I had some sort of a knowledge of what I was doing, sp
it wasnt a complete disaster. =]

(The following is a general statement) It seems like to ask Linux newbies nowadays
to read a little bit before hand is almost a crime.  Perhaps its because most of
them are migrating from more "user-friendly" environments like that other
operating system that starts with a W, and take offense to the fact that they
might have to do a little research in order to use their computer.  (Several
times to the isp-linux list have I been snapped at by a newbie because I told
him he might have to read some documentation =) Man, Linux nowadays is a walk
in the park compared to that cryptic version of Slackware I was installing way
back then -- there was nothing user-friendly about that, I assure you.  It
almost hurt =]

Anyways, I'll get off my soapbox now.  I think most anyone here [the ALE list]
would strongly advise a newbie to do a little pre-install reading (even if
you are installing Caldera's version -- never used it myself, but I've heard
of quite a few people who do) so that you understand what that install program
is doing.  Never hurts to know.

$.02

-Dave
dbrooks at elysium.comstar.net