[ale] more on the IP/MASQ question, need help

jj at spiderentertainment.com jj at spiderentertainment.com
Thu Sep 23 16:24:43 EDT 1999

Ok, here's the nfo, and what I did do.
I have 2 windows machines and 1 linux, RH6.0 just installed.

Linux (two network cards, both are working)
eth0 is connected to cable modem (DHCP) via rj45
eth1 is connected to the windows machines via coaxal cable.
Linux machine can see the internet.

Windows machines can see the linux box, both nics (eth0, eth1), but they
can not see the internet.

I'm not at home right now, but this is what I did(from my memory).
eth0: ip address assigned by the DHCP server
eth1: 10.0.0.1    Netmas 255.255.255.0 on all for 10.0.0.
Windows 1: 10.0.0.2 gateway 10.0.0.1
Windows 2: 10.0.0.3 gateway 10.0.0.1

enabled the /proc.../ip_forward
loaded the ip_masq_autofw

test1: (same as in the HOWTO)
ipchains -P forward DENY
ipchains -F forward -j MAS -s 10.0.0.0/255.255.255.0 -d 0.0.0.0/0
I also used the ipchains input for DHCP as described in the HOWTO

since that did now work, I thought maybe it gets confused on which nic to MASQ.

so I did this:

ipchains -F forward -j MAS -s 10.0.0.0/255.255.255.0 -d 0.0.0.0/0 -P all -i
eth1

Then I switched to ipfwadm, I knew this will not work, but I tried it
anyways...

help ?