[ale] Q: "Server Assigned Nameserver" Setup

Joe Knapka jknapka at charter.net
Thu Sep 23 14:52:15 EDT 1999

"Michael D. Ivey" wrote:

> Now, the real question is, do the standard linux DHCP clients support
> setting up resolv.conf from the DHCP lease information.  I think they
> do, but you'd have to poke at the respective man pages to be
> sure...and there are 3 or 4 DHCP clients for linux.  I don't use it
> myself, so I don't know.

Possibly I missed something, but I could not find a way to
get dhcpcd *itself* to automagically update resolv.conf.
However, it *does* record the assigned DNS server IP
address in /etc/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-ethx.info, and it also
invokes a script when it detects changes, so I just have
that script rewrite resolv.conf with the new DNS address.

-- Joe

[snip]

> /mdi
>
> --
> -- michael d. ivey, lead engineer, applianceware (tm) ------------------
> ------ realm information technologies  <http://realminfo.com> ----------
> "Try. Fail.  Try again.  Fail better."                 -- Samuel Beckett

-- Joe Knapka
* I speak only for myself, not for these idiots:
* The Software Monastery - "Better Software Through Divine
* Intervention." Source-code prayer vigils available - nominal
* donation $0.01/LOC. http://whyme.penguinpowered.com/monastery.html