[ale] Q: "Server Assigned Nameserver" Setup

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Thu Sep 23 07:38:33 EDT 1999

Gary Maltzen wrote:

> It sounds like you need to use DHCP to get the nameserver, etc.
>
>   man dhcpcd  ( DHCP client )
>   man pump  ( DHCP lease release/renewal )
>
> With all due respect, you just need to find their nameserver once
> then add it's IP address to your resolv.conf

This prompts two questions for me.  First, I thought someone posted that
DHCP didn't provide DNS.  I don't know, if it does, great, I'm trying to
verify.  Second, I assume that changes to resolv.conf are recognized
only when the connection is created.  Is this correct?

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

It should be illegal to yell "Y2K" in a crowded economy.
	-- Larry Wall, creator of the programming language Perl