[ale] mounting NT shares as user

Michael D. Hirsch hirsch at mathcs.emory.edu
Tue Sep 21 23:26:53 EDT 1999

I've finally decided to figure out this samba and smbfs stuff.  Today I was
able to mount an NT drive on my RedHat 6.0 box using smbmount.  The problem was
that it was only writable by root.  I then managed to get my fstab to work with
the NT share, too, but still only root writable.

What is the proper way to make it writable by a user?  I know that for some
filesystems you can pass a user parameter at mount time, but I can't figure it
out with smbfs.  Also, I think somewhere I read that smbclient should be suid
root.  It isn't on my box, but if that is the only solution, then I could live
with it.

Thanks in advance,

--Michael