[ale] Buying a dual system.

Jay Finch horus at larp.com
Mon Sep 13 17:15:05 EDT 1999

The only thing you need to make sure is:

1)      Make sure both CPU's are of the "Same Stepping" value.  Otherwise
you might run into problems with SMP later.

2)      You'll need to re-compile your Linux kernel to support SMP
(Symmetrical Multi-Processing) when you get the other CPU.

Personally, I'd get both CPUs at once, as the Stepping thing can be hard to
find if you buy one now and another later.  But it's entirely your choice.. :)

Cheers!
Jay
...who just bought and installed another Dual-CPU system last week...

At 04:26 PM 09/13/1999 -0400, jj at spiderentertainment.com wrote:
>Busy day for me today, ahh, I hate mondays...
>
>Anyhow, I we need to purchase another system, and the system I have in
>mind is
>dual mother board with only 1 CPU.
>
>My question is, if I install RH6.0 on this system, and then later down
>the road I install another CPU, will I need to do anything special to
>Linux ?
>
>THx.

-----
Jay Finch                       : "Nothing is easier than fault-finding;
President/GKE of NERO-Atlanta   :  no talent, no self-denial, no brains;
(770) 650-0410  (voice)         :  no character is required to set up
horus at larp.com                  :  in the grumbling business."
pagejay at larp.com (pager)        :                       -- Robert West
MTBI Survey says:  ENFJ         :
       Check out my home page at:  http://www.photobooks.com/~horus/