[ale] PPP on demand and/or diald

Bob Kruger bkruger at mindspring.com
Sun Sep 12 08:35:10 EDT 1999

I have a small subnetwork remotely located at work occasionally needs to
access outside its subnet.  Hard wiring the subnet in right now is not
possible.  There is a telephone line available.

I would like to have one system on the subnet dial out on demand based on
needs from the other systems on the subnet.  I have looked at both diald
and pppd.  It seems that pppd has the ability to dial out on demand if
configured properly.  If this is so, would it negate the need for diald and
proxy server software?

If anyone has done this before and is will to volunteer to share some
information with me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Regards - Bob Kruger