[ale] MAG LS500 LCD screen w/ X

Michael Hirsch hirsch at mathcs.emory.edu
Sun Sep 12 00:05:06 EDT 1999

Stuffed Crust <pizza at shaftnet.org> writes:

> I spent most of the night trying to get this particular beast to work on a
> friend's box.  It's mostly a vanilla RH 6.0 box, but with the XFree86
> 3.3.5 updates and a newly-compiled 2.2.12 kernel.
>
> The monitor itself appears to be fixed at 1024x768x16, and it'a a
> beautiful image - when it works.  Unfortunately, it's a digital screen,
> and came with its own grafix card based on the Trident TGUI9660 chip.

If the card is VESA compliant you might be able to use the VESA
framebuffer.  That will probably involve a kernel recompile, but it is
pretty neat when it works.

As an added bonus, you will get to see a punguin while you boot up.

There is a HOWTO out there for this that I recommend reading.  If you
can't find it, ask.  I don't have it handy right now but I can dig it out.

--
Michael