[ale] Linux "course" at GT?

Jay Finch horus at larp.com
Sat Sep 11 14:06:56 EDT 1999

At 08:18 AM 09/11/1999 -0600, Chris Ricker wrote:
> > Just one datapoint.  It does make you worry about new Linux installations
> > in the dorms who haven't even created a root password yet :)
>
>That's why Tech people have been griping to Slackware for years about their
>insecure practice of not forcing you to set root before you reboot out of
>install ;-).  FYI, one thing OIT does is random scans of resnet with ISS and
>similar tools.  If a machine shows up as insecure on their scan, they turn
>the port off and yell at the kid until he or she fixes their box before
>turning the port back on.

         Hehe ... Actually, Slackware 4.0 now requires you to set your root
password before the installation completes.  I always wondered about why
they didn't require that  myself... (And I've always been a big fan of
Slackware...)

Anyways...

Cheers!
Jay
-----
Jay Finch                       : "Nothing is easier than fault-finding;
President/GKE of NERO-Atlanta   :  no talent, no self-denial, no brains;
(770) 650-0410  (voice)         :  no character is required to set up
horus at larp.com                  :  in the grumbling business."
pagejay at larp.com (pager)        :                       -- Robert West
MTBI Survey says:  ENFJ         :
       Check out my home page at:  http://www.photobooks.com/~horus/