[ale] Upgrading Redhat rpms

Tory Deron tory at cauldron.net
Fri Sep 10 18:10:19 EDT 1999

I have downloaded several rpm updates and began to install them.  As I
began the upgrade process I ran into several rpms that refused to upgrade
because the old package was part of a dependancy for a package I had not
upgraded.  So, I uninstalled the dependant package, and then installed the
new one, etc, etc.  I'm sure you can imagine that this became quite an
ordeal as I got further into it.

Can anyone give me some recomendations about the best way to handle this?
Is it okay to just force the upgrade, or would that break the dependancies
and cause other problems down the road?  Has anyone found a method that
might work better?  Is there a FAQ or document somewhere that I don't know
about?

As always, thanks for any help.

Tory Deron
tory at cauldron.net