[ale] Linux "course" at GT?

sara yurman syurman at mindspring.com
Thu Sep 9 12:00:46 EDT 1999

My $.02:

The need for Linux is both deeper and broader than I believe you
imagine.  I frequently have to produce 100+ page documents.  Word just
plain isn't the tool.  All the numbering functions in Word (outline
numbering, toc, etc.) are amazingly unreliable.  Pre-Linux, I had
innumeraable late nights printing, jury-rigging and re-printing Word
documents in desperate attempts to make deadline.  A brilliant friend
who works in AI had the same problem.  When we compared notes, it
occurred to me that it wasn't entirely my fault.  StarOffice has never
done this to me.  Not once.  Colleagues who hear about this single
feature all want to switch.  Word processing in Windows is just as
reliable and satisfying as networking with NT.  ;-)

The breadth of desire for Linux was brought home last week when I went
for one of those subdivision exercise walks with my partner and her
neighbors in suburban Birmingham.  There were four of us, only two with
technology careers, all with age 40 behind us.  The *other* two were
talking about how they wanted to move to Linux because they were tired
of having their documents trashed.

So why don't these folks switch immediately?  Simple lack of
confidence.  I was fortunate to have my son (matt of the Linux General
Store and this list) commandeer my laptop and install Linux.  He's been
there for general assistance as I got my sea legs.  Although I admit to
a background in various OS's, it was different using Linux for my
desktop.  It just helped having someone around.  I think that's true for
most people.

As the Linux community grows, these people will realize there is someone
to ask for help.  They'll switch because they want things that work.

Here's a very public thanks, matt.  And those of you who have moms, be
nice: give her good software.  She'll never forget.

Sara

--

Sara W. Yurman
Spatial Focus, Inc.