[ale] flakey CDROM drive

Joe Knapka jknapka at charter.net
Wed Sep 8 17:03:06 EDT 1999

I have a caddyless IDE CD drive that exhibits very
similar symptoms. No eject, but certain disks, when
inserted, just result in a kind of desperate
grinding noise, and I can't mount the CD.

I eventually figured out that the disks that
would not work were el-cheapo ones that are very
slightly thinner and very slightly lighter
than "normal" CD's. Those disks work fine
in my other CD drives, though.

-- Joe

Michael Hirsch wrote:

> Raylynn A. Knight <rayk at clientlink.com> writes:
>
> > I have 3 different Plextor drives that use the caddy and have experienced
> > this same problem with the clicking noise and then caddy ejection.  It's not
> > the CD-ROM that is causing this it's the caddy.  I recommend you purchase a
> > new caddy, the one you have may be slightly warped.
>
> Interesting.  I'll try that.  I wonder why it will accept some disks
> and not others.  Very weird.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --Michael

-- Joe Knapka
* I speak only for myself, not for these idiots:
* The Software Monastery - "Better Software Through Divine
* Intervention." Source-code prayer vigils available - nominal
* donation $0.01/LOC. http://whyme.penguinpowered.com/monastery.html