[ale] Kill banners

Darshan Kadam pncrxrn at snt.bellsouth.com
Mon Sep 6 22:57:34 EDT 1999

Hi,
	I came across the following OS/2 article which talks about an easy
	way of getting rid of the advertisements that keep on appearing on
	home pages.  The article in it's entirety is at:

	http://www.os2ezine.com/v4n7/killbanners.htm

	In there, they talk about setting a variable "USE_HOSTS_FIRST" to
	true.  Is there something similar in Linux and if yes where would I
	find it.  Apparently this variable tells the OS to look into the hosts
	file first and then the DNS server.

	Thanks for any help in advance.
	..Darshan

Priyadarshan Kadam