[ale] Technical Career Paths

jemcdevitt at mindspring.com jemcdevitt at mindspring.com
Mon Sep 6 16:58:41 EDT 1999

This is kinda of any topic, but I just wanted to get a bead on what
other folks are running into.  My basic question is, how many of you
work at organizations that have a defined career path for technical
personnel that doesn't require moving into what has been historically
called "management"?

I hold a fairly high position at a large company here in Atlanta.  Our
company gives lip service to a career path for techies, but the growth
actually stops just short of manager.  Though the company indicates a
technical lead is equivalent to a manager, they aren't.

Recently some activities occurred where all management was invited, but
not a single person traveling a technical career path.  Made a few of
us a bit angry and got me thinking.  How many businesses out there
actually consider career paths for their technical persons.  After all,
many of us don't want the typical managers role.

My boss keeps wanting me to take a "promotion" to manager because
actually I already do the work.  I've got a dozen developers reporting
directly to me as it is.  I keep pushing for an advance in the
technical path above my current. but don't see it coming.  Guess I'll
have to accept the "promotion".

What are some of your experiences.  How many of you want to stay
technical in your jobs and how easy/hard have you found that.

Just throwing out for some discussion.

Thanks,

JEM