[ale] Backup problems

Joe Knapka jknapka at charter.net
Wed Sep 1 09:45:29 EDT 1999

Gary,

I seem to recall having trouble with WinZip when using
Gnu tar's integrated compression. Also, some versions
of WinZip can get confused when there are multiple
"." in the filename.

Try doing the compression separately, i.e.

tar cvf / backup.tar
gzip backup.tar

And also try renaming the file backup_tar.gz

Luck,

-- Joe

> Gary S. Mackay writes:
>  > Problems:
>  > 1. The Aug3099.tar.gz file that gets created is not readable by WinZip on the
>  > NT box. Since I can extract other *.tar.gz files that I download, I'm guessing
>  > I'm doing something wrong.
>  > - Gary
>  > --
>  > Edison Information Technologies
>  > P.O. Box 554
>  > Milan, OH  44846-0554
>  > 419.499.7040
>  > www.EdisonInfo.com
>  > Gary at EdisonInfo.com
>  > --

-- Joe Knapka
* I speak only for myself, not for these idiots:
* The Software Monastery - "Better Software Through Divine
* Intervention." Source-code prayer vigils available - nominal
* donation $0.01/LOC. http://whyme.penguinpowered.com/monastery.html