[ale] ntp config?

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Sat Oct 30 22:40:17 EDT 1999

On Sat, Oct 30, 1999 at 08:19:47PM -0600, Robert L. Harris wrote:

> Is anyone running ntp on a subnet?  I'm trying to get a clock online, but
> it's giving me some grief.  Can anyone send me an ntp.conf file?  I'm
> reading the www pages and man pages, but not getting far.

	What exactly is the problem?

	I have a couple of nets where I sync up one server to a stratum one
chimer on the net and then sync up everything else to the resulting stratum
two server on my subnet.  Everything just works.  No problems.

	Are you trying to set up a stratum one server or are you trying to
set up a master server that is not synchronized to a stratum one?  If that's
what you are trying to do, you have to realize that an ntp time server
is going to come up thinking it's at stratum 16 until it can synchronize
to a better time reference.  Nothing will be able to sync up to it until
it thinks it's got some reasonable time reference.  You need to either find
a time-base (GPS, WWV/WWVB receiver, atomic clock, or other primary time
source) to make it a stratum one or sync it up to another timer server
(stratum one or two) out on the net, or find some other way to fake it
out so it will act like something better than the bottom of the barrel.

> Robert

> Robert L. Harris                |   "A person is smart;
> Senior System Engineer          |        People are dumb, panicky
>   R&D Consulting.               \_            dangerous animals"  - Agent K
>

> http://www.orci.com/~nomad
>
> DISCLAIMER:
>
> FYI:
>  perl -e 'print $i=pack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10);'

	Mike
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (770) 331-2437   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/