[ale] setting up dhcp on a new install

Jim Kinney jkinney at teller.physics.emory.edu
Thu Oct 28 12:25:03 EDT 1999

OK. It looks like you "upgraded" to RH6.1 from 6.0. It didn't ask for new
network info because it assumed that you would not be changing it. If you
do a new install, it will ask for network info. DHCP is on the list of
choices.

After you install, RedHat has 2 methods of sysadmin, linuxconf and
control-panel. Linuxconf is quite powerful and relatively easy to use. It
will work most of the time for most configuration stuff that is not too
complex.(Beats hacking sendmail.cf with vi !!) Sometimes it doesn't work.
It still crashes on me in samba configs under gnome (bummer). The inline
help, where it exists, is quite good. It needs to be finished. But it is a
"work in progress", albeit a pretty usable one right now. It is the
recommended method in RH6.1. It works in X or from the console.

Control-panel is the other method. It is X only. It not quite as easy to
use. It has a button that launches linuxconf!

JimK