[ale] Trouble with a remote dump

Terry Lee Tucker terry at esc1.com
Thu Oct 28 10:08:10 EDT 1999

Hello Linux People:

I have two machines in my office at home, both of which are running
RedHat 5.2. One machine has a SCSI tape drive and the other does not. I
want to use the dump command on Gateway (the machine without the tape
drive) to dump the root file system to the tape drive on the other
machine. The command I'm using is:

dump 0Bbf 4194304 512 esc:/dev/nst0

The dump operation begins, but return shortly thereafter with the
following error:

[root at Gateway /root]# dump 0Bbf 4194304 512 esc:/dev/nst0 /
  DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Thu Oct 28 09:04:30 1999
  DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
  DUMP: Dumping /dev/hda1 (/) to /dev/nst0 on host esc
  DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
  DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
  DUMP: estimated 42832 tape blocks on 0.01 tape(s).
rdump: Lost connection to remote host.
  DUMP: Bad return code from dump: 1

Does anyone have any idea what is causing this error? Thanks for any
insight anyone can give.
--
Oakwood, GA 30566 USA
770.965.9294