[ale] server installation.

jj at spiderentertainment.com jj at spiderentertainment.com
Mon Oct 25 12:22:42 EDT 1999

I have dilemma to deal with. Let me know if you have any ideas.

The goal of this is to make a 100% backup of a machine, lets call this
machine A.
So we bought another machine lets call it 'B'.
B has similar hardware, and about the same amount of hard drive space.
Except that 'A' is running an older distro, while 'B' is RH6.1
'A' was installed with only 2 partitions.
/
and
/data

the '/data' is the largest and it contains allot of stuff.

Now when B was installed, I have overlooked that RH6.1 installed it with
several partitions(the standard server I guess).
And that causes the problem. The whole thing is dependent on the
'/data/*****' directories.

Now I need to take '/data' and put into 'B'.
Symlinks: Won't that slow down the machine incredibly ?

Keep in mind I don't have physical access to the machine

So what would you suggest ?
thx:)