[ale] 15 gb hdd problem

Jim Popovitch jimpop at rocketship.com
Wed Oct 20 15:00:30 EDT 1999

It's a BIOS limitation.  Try reading the Linux Large Disk HOWTO.  It's got
a wealth of info on how to support large drives.  I recently experienced
the same problems with a 13.5 Gig drive.  I have NT in the first 4 gigs
and Linux on the rest. I didn't have to specify anything other than
"linear" in my lilo.conf.  The important part is getting your BIOS set
correctly so that Linux can query it for the exact size of the drive.
Read the HOWTO, and if you still have questions feel free to ask.

For the record, I had a harder tiem getting NT to recognize the first 4
Gigs than I did having Linux recognize the remaining 9.5.

-Jim