[ale] UNIX equivalent of Windows DLL

Jim Williams dalavon at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 20 11:52:50 EDT 1999

It will bring over thousands of apps.  There was a
disscussion on /. about this a couple of weeks ago.
Just think of all the Delphi apps that will just need
a recompile.  Think about a shop that has been using
delphi for awhile, now it will be real easy for them
to jump into the Linux sandbox.  I am not a Delphi
expert but others commented on /. that boreland for
the most part avoided win 32 specific calls with
delphi.

--- Dan Newcombe <Newcombe at mordor.clayton.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Oct 1999, Russell Enderby wrote:
> > Actually not too long ago, it was mentioned that
> Borland's entire compiler
> > suite would be ported over to Linux.  That is my
> favorite development suite
> > anyhow.  It will bring thousands of apps to Linux
> overnight.  Linux is in
> > real good shape.
>
> I don't follow the logic - how does having Borland
> compilers for linux
> bring apps over?  All the compiler does is take
> WinMain, MessageBox, and
> all the other Win32 calls and compile and link them.
>  Without having the
> win32 libraries behind it, apps would still not work
> and probably not
> compile on Linux.  Even if an app was 100% OWL
> (absolutley NO windows
> calls), the OWL would still need to be rewritten to
> not use Win32.
>
> There are twho things that'll get "thousands of apps
> to Linux overnight".
> 	- A working Wine
> 	- ALL of Win32/MFC/ATL, etc... ported to Linux.
>
> I'll put my money on Wine

=====
Jim Williams
Software Developer, ICC/GRSoftware