[ale] Sorry 'bout that HTML

Glenn Stone taliesin at babcom.com
Tue Oct 19 23:16:16 EDT 1999

Poor John wails:
> I see a recent post of mine to ALE came out in HTML. Sorry. I want to dump
> Outlook and go to a more obedient mail reader (Pine, say), but I am still
> trying to find out how to connect it to our M$ Exchange server in my WinNT
> box. #$%@!!

No rocket science here.  Exchange provides an IMAP backend.  To set Pine to
go to an IMAP box (which it's designed to do up front; if you get the Pine
source it comes with imapd), simply set in .pinerc:

inbox-path={server-name-or-ip/user=exchange-username}INBOX

like:

inbox-path={mailandnews.com/user=linuxhat}INBOX

Oh, one other thing, set rsh-timeout to 0 (turning it off), otherwise
Pine tries to do this funky rsh authentication, which, of course,
Exchange won't do.  Then Pine will come up, ask you for a password,
and log into Exchange.

Oh, if you want to use Exchange's onboard addressing, go get the
source for Pine, the source for Open-LDAP (it says where in Pine's
instructions), and compile in LDAP support.  Then you can set a
similar variable to point to the LDAP server and nab the addresses
from your companywide Exchange phone book.

You will love yourself for doing this; I haven't opened Exchange since
I got to AMI, and it's been seven months.  The only reason I've bothered
with WinDoze in the past few months has been some Werd files that Abi
hasn't been able to handle; I'm currently refusing StarOfffice.

-- Glenn