[ale] BellSouth.net ISP Configuration Help Needed

Gabriel Donnell GabrielDonnell at netscape.net
Mon Oct 18 17:16:58 EDT 1999

Hello ALE Community,

My name is Gabriel (Gabe) Donnell.  I just moved to the Atlanta Metro Area
from the Silicon Valley Area.  Last week I received my VALinux StartX SP
that I bought.

Unfortunately, I signed up with BellSouth.net for my ISP before I knew
that they did not support Linux.  I had several complications trying to
get help to configure my system with an external modem to log into their
network.

I have been using the "kppp" utility to setup the account.  When I execute
the "Connect" button, it dials the number, connects, and starts the
"pppd" demon.  However, pppd dies with an error message which indicates
that the network does not repond to the configuration request.

I talked to the support people at VALinux and some reps at Linux General
Store all last week and at the Atlanta Linux Showcase.  They all
indicated that it is a problem on the BellSouth.net end.  All of them
said that I may be able find some help by sending e-mail to the ALE
e-mail address.  They figured some people on the ALE e-mail list may use
BellSouth.net as an ISP, and may have figured out what needs to be done.

If any of know what I need to do to configure my system, then please let me
know.

I am ready give up on BellSouth.net because their service is BAD and their
tech support reps do not know anything.  When they find out that I use
Linux, they shunt me out.  In one case, I called them with a VALinux
support rep, and the BellSouth.net rep just hung up without saying
anything when the VALinux rep asked him for information he did not know.

That is some very poor service.  I cannot believe I actually interviewed
with them for a job before I left Intel to move out here from Silicon
Valley.

Some people from VALinux and Linux General Store suggested that I use
MindSpring as an ISP because they use Linux and support Linux for ISP
service.  If anyone has any comments about MindSpring or any other good
alternative ISP that I can use, then please let me know.

Thanks A Lot,
Gabriel (Gabe) Donnell