[ale] remote shutdown

Pritchard, Kenneth kenneth.pritchard at brite.com
Sun Oct 17 15:11:39 EDT 1999

jj at spiderentertainment.com wrote:

> I have a small machine at home RH6 that is doing ip_masq. And my sister
> in law wants to use the internet from her computer. She knows how to
> turn on the linux box but she does not know how to shut it down. I
> personally run the halt command which shutsdown and turns off the
> machine. I need a solution that will do just that, where she clicks on
> her desktop(Win98) and it rsh the halt command, any ideas ?

	I don't know if you got an answer to this yet, but there are three
ways to do this from the console that I can think of:
	1. Boot into GDM on the RH6 box. She can click on the options button
on the login screen to shutdown or reboot. Won't work if you don't want X
running.
/sbin/shutdown -h now.
	3. Add a special user that can only login at the console that needs
no password, and put shutdown and exit in that user's .bash_profile. You
would have to make sure the login could only be executed from the console.
Number 1 or 2 would be easier.

	Does it have to be done from a button on her Win98 screen? Hope it
helps.

	Ken