[ale] FW: Help Linux/Windows Networking

Silveira, Damien Damien.Silveira at EmergingSolutions.com
Sat Oct 16 08:23:53 EDT 1999

-----Original Message-----
 From: Silveira, Damien
Sent: Friday, October 15, 1999 8:59 PM
To: 'ale at ale.org'
Subject: Help Linux/Windows Networking

I have linux successfully running on my Alpha machine and am now trying
to configure Samba.  I am a windows developer and need to run Windows on
my desktop.  I have replaced my NT Server with Linux 6.0 and am trying
to get it doing what my NT Box was doing which was file/print services
and Database.  I have downloaded PostreSQL have used it before and look
forward to using it again.  I have the box exposed on my windows
network, i.e. it shows up in my
network neighborhood, but when I try to open it I get a message saying
incorrect password for \\machinename\ipc$ with a text box that I enter
the password that I set with smbpasswd, but it still does not work.  I
have checked the /var/log/samba/log.smb and it says the following:

		[1999/10/15 20:11:38, 0] lib/util.c:matchname(1855)
  		  Get_Hostbyname([hostname].vivid.net): lookup failure.
		[1999/10/15 20:11:38, 0] lib/util_sock.c:client_name(819)
		  Matchname failed on [hostname].vivid.net xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

I have substituted [hostname] for the machine and xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx for
the ip of my machine.  The weird thing is that I have set the box to do
wins and my resolve order is as follows:

	 name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast

My machine is not at vivid.net that is the port on the router that my
entire network range translates to.  If someone is interested in helping
individually, I would be happy to share more information if needed.

I need to print some stuff so if you have any thoughts they would be
appreciated.

Thanks