[ale] Running Linux on SR440BX motherboard system

Glenn Stone taliesin at babcom.com
Fri Oct 15 12:01:00 EDT 1999

It was written:
> I am getting ready to build a new PIII system and looking at Intel's
> SR440BX motherboard.  Listed below are the highlights and features of
> the motherboard.  I wanted to know if any one is running Linux on system
> with this motherboard.  My concern is that the built in video card and
> sound card, if they would cause any problem configuring Linux.  Any
> comment on the moterboard or recomendation will be appreciated.

The nVidia chipset is supported by the latest XFree86's, IIRC;
not up to speed on the sound.  However, my biggest concern is
that you get the newer version of this m/b that doesn't have
the firmware bug in which under heavy load the voltage to the
pin powering the cache memory drops below spec, leaving you with
corrupt cache and a panicked machine.  Other than that, Linux
really isn't picky about m/b's....

-- Glenn