[ale] another CD-RW question

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Thu Oct 14 11:28:30 EDT 1999

On Thu, Oct 14, 1999 at 07:35:47PM -0400, Keith Morris wrote:
> I'm a serious linux newbie running Mandrake 6.0 and was wondering if there
> is any way to use an ATAPI/IDE CD-RW (HP 1080i) within linux or if you are
> limited to scsi writers.  also, I am only showing that my CD reader is
> available from within linux do I have to add a line in some config file for
> it to be available?

	Since I only use SCSI devices, I don't have personal experience
with this, but there is a SCSI emulation which is used to make IDE devices
respond to SCSI commands.  That allows user space applications like
cdrecord to issue generic SCSI commands and have them interpreted by the
kernel and issued to the IDE devices.  It's my understanding that the
IDE CD-RW drives work with this.  In order to access your IDE CD-RW
drive as a writer, you have to enable the IDE SCSI emulation in the kernel,
if it's not there already.  It then should work.

> sorry for the ignorance.

> Keith Morris
> Senior Graphic Designer/Compositor
> Brick House Editorial