[ale] RH6: Switch to tty0 & back to Xwin

smnoldelinux at mediaone.net smnoldelinux at mediaone.net
Mon Oct 11 18:26:54 EDT 1999

Interesting.  I'm running Red Hat 6.0, but my ps aux looks like this:

scott     1084  0.0  1.1  1656  744 tty3     S    16:31   0:00 sh
/usr/X11R6/bin
scott     1091  0.0  1.1  2224  756 tty3     S    16:31   0:00 xinit
/etc/X11/xi
root      1092 22.1 11.5 12540 7288 ?        S    16:31  22:17
/usr/X11R6/bin/Xw
scott     1624  0.0  0.6  1148  392 pts/2    S    18:11   0:00 grep X

In my /etc/inittab file at the end....
# Run xdm in runlevel 5
# xdm is now a separate service
x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon

The same as yours.  However, are your listed processes zombies??  My
preference is to boot into level 3 and then go to 5 when needed.  Is
your /etc/fstab corrupt?

Assuming you're using Red Hat, run linuxconf in text mode and
pseudo-edit the users.  I accidently hosed my normal user by chmod'ing
my home directory which wouldn't let me back in except as root (since I
didn't hose that, too).  linuxconf will check the user directories for
proper permissions (thanks red hat!) and prompt you to correct them.

I too, am curious to know why your setup is doing weird things.

- Scott