[ale] Telnet for Root

J. Reeves Hall reeves at earthling.net
Mon Oct 11 11:25:32 EDT 1999

Malcolm Silberman wrote:

> Any idea why I can't trelnet into my server as root. Shadow passwords
> are on. I can telnet as any other user. Thiught it may be the client
> (standard win98 telnet application), but then why can I access through
> my other users. Sounds like I am doing something stupid!

Telnetting into your server as root IS stupid :)
Just log in as a user and use the su -l command to become root.
But remember that telnt transfers everything in plaintext; it's really
easy to sniff passwords off the network! That's why I use ssh whenever
possible.

Blake, did you get my email about ALS volunteering?

-Reeves

--
In a world without fences, why do we need Gates?
J. Reeves Hall - Georgia Tech (CS Major)