[ale] USB on Linux?

Dunlap, Randy randy.dunlap at intel.com
Thu Oct 7 13:16:15 EDT 1999

The short answer is No.

What kind of USB camera is it?
Linux 2.3.xx has some USB support in it, but the only
camera chipset that is supported is the CPiA camera
chip.  Several OEMs use it.  A list of them is at
http://www.vvl.co.uk/products/oems/videoconferencing.htm .
Some of these same OEMs follow-on products do NOT
use the CPiA chipset.

Linux-USB is still a Work In Progress.
It supports hubs, keyboards, and mice well.
Work is also underway for printers,
some HP scanners, modems, mass storage,
audio.

Other camera support may follow, but it's
difficult getting proprietary interface
specs from most of them (but not from VVL
for the CPiA chipset).

See www.linux-usb.org for general info/updates.
See www.datacomm.ch/mcschlup/usb/devices.html
for a table of (somewhat) working devices.

~Randy