[ale] Networking RedHat/Win98

Jay Finch horus at larp.com
Thu Oct 7 11:18:00 EDT 1999

Hey Mike,
         Heh... That seems to be the exact same card that I'm using.  (Wake
on Lan, jumpers, the whole bit .. I'd have to crack open my box & check the
chip, but it should be the PNIC Lite-on chip, even though Linksys doesn't
brand it that way)  If you want, I can install RH (What version?) and try
to hack around a bit to figure it out.

Maybe I should write a "Linksys cards and you" Webpage...

The .091g driver is the latest, and it's the one that I'm using.  (For some
reason all the previous drivers wouldn't work for me either)

Here's what I did:

1)      Downloaded the tulip.c and tulip-diag.c programs
2)      Recompiled my kernel (2.2.6 at the time) and compiled in module
support for the DECchip Tulip driver.  (Even though we're not gonna use
that driver)
3)      Installed the kernel and modules.
4)      Rebooted.
5)      Compiled the tulip.c driver using the instructions on the Linksys Page:

gcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/net/inet -Wall
-Wstrict-prototypes -O6 -c tulip.c `[ -f /usr/include/linux/modversions.h ]
&& echo -DMODVERSIONS`

6)      Copied the driver to the appropriate modules directory:  (for me)

cp tulip.o /lib/modules/2.2.6/net

7)      Ran the Module Dependencies Program and modprobed it:

depmod -a
modprobe tulip

8)      Compiled the tulip-diag.c simply:  gcc tulip-diag.c
9)      Ran the ./tulip-diag program with the -r flag.

This should work for you now.  If not, let me know and I'll go back and
revise this data...

Cheers!
Jay
...can you tell I'm in QA?...

FYI -- If you don't need 100-base-T, then the older style Linksys cards
work compiled into the kernel.  (I've been using Linksys for years and this
is the first time I've had to WORK at configuring them..)

At 05:37 AM 10/7/1999 -0400, Mike Nolan wrote:
>Jay,
>
>Your post is about the most accurate information I've seen that puts it all
>in a nutshell.
>
>I miss-typed, I have the latest card, the LNE100TXC, ("C" means "cable" and
>means that it's a wake on LAN card and has the socket for the card and
>jumpers for the WOL.
>
>Here's an interesting page off Linksys's site....
>
>http://www.linksys.com/dlc/howtotelllne100tx.htm
>
>I have the chip that "Linksys LC82C115" not the PNIC, or Digital chip.  The
>driver code they have for download on that page is the 0.90 version which
>will not work with the chip I have.
>
>I got the 0.91 version of tulip.c from the NASA site you mention below, and
>in the course of talking with RH phone support, (they apparently don't
>answer E-mail support for DAYS...),asked them how to compile the newer
>version of tulip.c as either a module or into the kernel.
>
>The instructions in the comments in the tulip.c code don't work because the
>directory structure is not the same as in the RH install, (and I don't have
>a clue how to do anything in Linux other than explicitly what the
>instructions say).
>
>RH support actually told me "we don't support or recommend ever compiling a
>new kernel"  ???
>
>So I'm off to the vendor to stick this card where the sun don't shine.
>
>So far I have figured out the Linksys sucks, and RH support sucks, and
>that's about as far as I've gotten.
>
>Mike
>Dallas, GA

-----
Jay Finch                       : "Well, I'm going to make it all up
President/GKE of NERO-Atlanta   :  to you.  I'm going to show you
(770) 650-0410  (voice)         :  kids the time of your life.  Get
horus at larp.com                  :  ready for 2 weeks at the happiest
pagejay at larp.com (pager)        :  place on Earth ... TIJUANA!"
kateth at bck.org                  :                       -- Crusty the Clown
MTBI Survey says:  ENFJ         :