[ale] Networking RedHat/Win98

Jay Finch horus at larp.com
Thu Oct 7 01:01:51 EDT 1999

Hi Mike!
         I've got the Linksys Etherfast 10/100 (LNE100TX Ethernet) Card
working on 2 of my boxes... Here's the deal --  You need to get the most
current driver, tulip.c ver .91 from the Tulip support webpages...

http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/tulip.html

Correct Download spot:

http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/test/tulip.c

Then you can't compile it into the kernel, you have to set it as a loadable
module, and go into your /etc/rc.d/rc.modules (/etc/conf.modules) file and
make sure that you are loading it...

modprobe tulip   (Slackware)

or

options tulip   options=0   (SuSE)

         You will also need to download the tulip-diag.c program as well,
so that you can use to to issue the following command:  ./tulip-diag -r
This will reset your LNE100TX to run at whatever speed your hub is set
to.  (I had to do that to get it to properly run at 100Mbps on my Linksys
Hub -- It defaults to 10Mbps)

I haven't messed around with Redhat, but I know those configurations work
from personal experience.

All-in-all, the DEC Tulip chip is a big pain in the neck, but if you go to
the pages mentioned above, hack around a little bit, you can get it working
fine... (And it does work GREAT for me...)  Plus... It's a good learning
experience.  (I spent about 3 hours figuring out all the little "tweaks" to
make it work.. heh..)

Cheers!
Jay

At 10:56 PM 10/06/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>Mike Bryant wrote:
> >I have just finished building a Linux box and am now ready to attempt
> >networking it and my Win98 machine.  I can read the HOW-TOs, etc. to figure
> >what I need to do to get it running(hopefully), but am wondering if anyone
> >can give me guidance on what out-of-the-box network kits will work with
> >RH...
> >
> >Any ideas/thoughts are appreciated, especially if you've been there and can
> >supply me with hints/idiosyncrasies/etc.
>
>I'm in the same place you are.
>
>I can tell you that I can _not_ get a Linksys LNE100TX card to work.
>
>RedHat Support tells me the driver (tulip.c) on Linksys's site will not
>work, and the instructions on the Linksys pages are also incorrect.
>
>Mike Nolan
>Dallas, GA

-----
Jay Finch                       : "Nothing is easier than fault-finding;
President/GKE of NERO-Atlanta   :  no talent, no self-denial, no brains;
(770) 650-0410  (voice)         :  no character is required to set up
horus at larp.com                  :  in the grumbling business."
pagejay at larp.com (pager)        :                       -- Robert West
MTBI Survey says:  ENFJ         :
       Check out my home page at:  http://www.photobooks.com/~horus/