[ale] DHCP Invocation for PPP

John Mills Jmills at TGA.com
Tue Oct 5 11:28:41 EDT 1999

Mike -

MS- RE: [ale] DHCP Invocation for PPPHI, I use Avana
MS- for my dial-up.  What I recommend you to do is to
MS- set up your own caching DNS server on your linux
MS- box and point /etc/resolv.conf to 127.0.0.1  or
MS- your local ethernet card's address.  I just
MS- ignored what they said in that message about the
MS- change.

I'll look into that, though I'll probably get to learn more than I want to
know about net administration to pull it off.

MS- Also, have you tried talking to the guys at Avana
MS- about your situation?
MS- they seem to be linux savvy.

My experience with Avana's tech support for my Linux problems has been good,
and most of their support staff do seem to run Linux. Their new system
installation seems to have been the "cut-through from H*ll" and is still
coming under control.

They have given me suggestions w.r.t. DNS, but so far none has hit the mark.
["Don't use a 'nameserver' line" didn't work, nor did the support person
give me the correct provisional - but static - IP address to use; in fact
the IP address of the putative nameserver 'tiger.avana.net' changed while I
was on-line last evening. (I tried 'ping dns.avana.net' while using the old
nameserver's address and it gave me a hostname and IP.)]

I'm still plagued by quick establishment of a connection followed by delayed
startup of the actual activity (as in 'ftp' and 'telnet' sessions). But
things are settling out and I hope I'll soon be back to pre-cutover
functionality and can enjoy the expanded number of dialup lines and the
promised faster transfer times. I also hope the bread-and-butter (Win*/Mac)
customers have had an easier time of it, so they don't get frustrated and go
away... that could be disasterous for all hands.

I have been quite happy with Avana, and look forward to smoother sailing. If
I don't write on the subject, assume things are well: "no news is good
news." !;^)

  John Mills, Sr. Software Engineer
  TGA Technologies, Inc.
  100 Pinnacle Way, Suite 140