[ale] Compiling for the lesser good

JANINDRA at MS.NDCORP.COM JANINDRA at MS.NDCORP.COM
Mon Oct 4 11:23:03 EDT 1999

The dilema:

I need to compile Apache to run on a 486/50. I do not have the hard drive
space on this machine to download the source, libraries and compilers. I
have managed to get a minimum Linux installation in the space provided. I
would like to compile the source using a Pentium with plenty of room and
move the binary to the 486 when done. Without a huge dissertation in C
programming can someone explain the proper way to accomplish this? I think
it may be:

gcc -static -m486

how close or far am I? I have read the man page for gcc, even printed it
out. Also, if I run 'strip httpd' on the Pentium will this affect the
program when I transfer it to the 486?

Thanks,
Randy