[ale] Routing.

Patrick Ramsey Ramsey_Patrick at promina.org
Mon May 31 09:08:17 EDT 1999

Yes, you can assign a 'virtual' ip address to a physical nic.  However, think twice before you do this!

All lan traffic will be completely open and sniffable from your external ip address.

The easiest way to to this with minimal effort is buy an identical nic (or a nic based on the same chipset you already have a driver for)

Install the nic and create an eth1.  Set your lan nic to a default route to the WAN nic.  On a simple network, a major firewall is not really needed.  Keeping your lan traffic on the internal ip address will offer protection from a simple sniffer.

If greater security is needed then install a firwewall for sure.  You can go to any linux site just about and do a search for firewall and links to various gnu firewalls should pop up.

-Patrick

>>> "Tory Michael Deron" <tory at cauldron.net> 05/30 1:09 PM >>>
Hello all,

Is it possible to bind two IP addresses to the same ethernet card in Linux?  For example, an internet IP and an internal IP so that the Linux box can route to the internet for the internal network through IP masq?  Or is it necessary to have two seperate ethernet cards?

I have looked for some information on this, but I can't really find anything that helps.  If someone could point me to the right HOWTO, or FAQ, I would appreciate it.

What I am doing is trying to set up a small Linux box to serve as a firewall for my cable modem.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tory Deron