[ale] Web based Username/Password creation module

Stan.Hearn at ipst.edu Stan.Hearn at ipst.edu
Sun May 30 10:36:50 EDT 1999

I'm about to build a web site that will require a username and password.

I don't want to re-invent the wheel.  I need software that will do an
initial user account creation where the user will choose a username and
password.  Their confirmation, via a URL, will be emailed to them.  Once
they go to the confirmation URL their account would be activated.  Not a
Linux account, just an entry into the HTTP account database.

I will allow certain email domains (from our customers) to have access in
this way.  In other words if their email account matches some regular
expressions, then they will get an email saying go to this URL to confirm
your account information and their have instant access.  Otherwise, I'd
send them an email saying that their application was under review.  A
person would then verify and activate the account manually.

Does anyone know of the existence of such software or modules to do this
initial account creation step?  Either in perl or C?

Thanks,
Stan