[ale] Upgrade mishaps

Michael B Golden naugrim at juno.com
Sat May 29 14:24:31 EDT 1999

I tried to upgrade two things, both with problems.

1. Kernel
	I wanted to upgrade the kernel to 2.2, so this morning I decided
to take the plunge. Using a list of needed program versions from
http://www.linuxhq.com somewhere, I started downloading and installing
the updated packages from http://www.slackware.com. I was able to upgrade
all of that without any major problem. Now the problem that I have with
it is modules. I am missing most of the modules I need, like sound, and
sbpcd, ppp, etc. I tried copying the 2.0.34 modules over, but it new that
they were wrong and it was a no go. Where can I get the new module
versions? (This is for kernel 2.2.6 (the latest binary for Slackware
available))

2. Wine
	I have been trying to upgrade Wine from version 990314 for nearly
three months now. I was having trouble with the libc5 version as I could
not decompress bzip2 files without errors. I then downloaded the glibc
package from http://www.slackware.com which gave me glibc2.0.7pre6. I
then proceeded to download a libc6 binary version of wine 990523. I was
able to uncompress it and then tried to run it. It used to be I could
download a singe binary and be up and running. The first time, it
complained that I didn't have mesa, so I went looking elsewhere. I
finally got one that didn't mention mesa, but it complains when I try to
run it about an ncurses library. I installed ncurses again from the
Slackware site, but the needed library is missing. Here is the output:

wine: error in loading shared libraries
libncurses.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory

Where can I download this library from?

Also, with glibc2.0.7pre6, does this mean I can now run any glibc2
binaries? Such as off my RH5.2 CD?

Michael Golden
Naugrim at Juno.com (Normal, no attachments)
MGolden at Airapps.com (Only for messages with attachments.)
Slackware 3.5 (2.0.34) Linux user -- Linux Advocate

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]