[ale] CD-Writing Issues

Vernard Martin vernard at cc.gatech.edu
Thu May 27 12:13:37 EDT 1999

I'm having a problem duping audio cds.  It appears that neither my cdr-r or y
ATAPI cdrom are recognized by xcdroast as audio capable devices. Therefore I
can't use xcdroast to rip. I can still use it to burn but I can't seem to get
the data read in the format that xcdroast wants so that it'll burn it
correctly. What frightening is that I can get cdparanois to rip audio from the
ATAPI drive even though xcdroast won't.

I was wondering if anybody on the list has been copying or building audio cds
*without* using xcdroast and if so, could they give me some tips. I know that I
could simply by a better ATAPI cdrom and then I could read with it and write
with the cd-r but I'd like to avoid that since I can throw that cash towards
somethign really useful like a new cpu or something :-)

by the way, the cd-r is a Sony CW-7502 CD-R (which is the rebranded MATSHITA
CD-R). The ATAPI cdrom is a CRD-8320).

Vernard Martin (vernard at cc.gatech.edu)  http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~vernard/
"Luck is just one of my many skills." - Isamu from Macross Plus