[ale] VPN's

Steve Tynor tynor at outside.atlanta.twr.com
Tue May 25 17:41:01 EDT 1999

Gary Maltzen wrote:

| Assuming you can so configure the underlying ssh session...
|
| Did you try with compression both enabled and disabled?
|
|        Compression
|               Specifies whether to use compression. The  argument
|               must be "yes" or "no".

No, we've only tried uncompressed -- I'd expect compression to only make
things worse (introducing delay due to the compression algorithm's need
to package up strings 'o bytes).

| Did you try with the escape character disabled?
|
|        EscapeChar
|               Sets the escape character (default: ~).  The escape
|               character can also be set on the command line.  The
|               argument should be a single character, '^' followed
|               by  a letter, or "none" to disable the escape char-
|               acter entirely (making the  connection  transparent
|               for binary data).

_This_ however, we weren't doing (slap head).  However, we've now spent
some time experimenting with a tunnel using "ssh -e none"
(i.e. disabling the excape character), and we see _no_ improvement.
It's so bad that if we telnet into the other subnet through the tunnel
and type "ls -R", the connection hangs immediately -- not only does the
telnet session hang, but you can no longer even ping through the tunnel.

Thanks for the suggestions.  Keep 'em coming!

Steve