[ale] ADSL follow-up

David Brooks dbrooks at trusted.net
Tue May 25 09:12:29 EDT 1999

I did call Atlnet, and I decided that its a much better deal than BellSouth.
This is what I found out:

a)  They love Linux (or UNIX in general)
b)  They "encourage you to run servers" behind your ADSL connection
c)  They don't care about how many machines you stick on your ADSL
connection
d)  They give static IPs and
e)  They aren't idiots

The only possible drawback I could see with Atlnet as opposed to BellSouth
(dot net) is that they only allow you to pull 2 Gigabytes of traffic per
month without accruing extra cost -- but I figure that this isn't really a
problem because I'm a "casual" user, and 2 GB of traffic is a rather large
amount.  Supposing they drop this limitation, they'd probably blow
BellSouth.net out of the water when it comes to ADSL.

I would prefer the modem as opposed to the router (mainly because it saves
me $200 and frankly I can't really afford to dump $400 on one -- if anyone
has any dealings with Atlnet, see if you can't prod them into finding a
Linux solution pretty soon <G>)

Anyhoo-
--
david a. brooks